Raise expectations and to support learning and teaching.
Guiding Premise from Warren County Board of Education:
The school district shall be governed by the statutory definition of parent involvement as sited in the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), and shall carry out programs, activities and procedures in accordance with this definition. 1
The Board shall implement the following as required by federal and state legislation:
- The school district will put into operation activities and procedures for the involvement of parents in all of its schools. Those programs, activities and procedures will be planned and operated with meaningful consultation with parents.
WCMS Mission is to make all students meet their grade level benchmarks as established by the state and nation and to get all students ready to perform successfully at the next educational level. In order to meet these goals will attempt to partner with our student and parents for ultimate success.
WCMS Procedures and Guidelines :
- WCMS Faculty and staff in collaboration with all of our parents and the PTO will work collectively to improve the instruction, facilities, and programs school-wide for the successful operation of WCMS and the total success of our all of our students.
- The PTO is made up of parents, teachers and administrators. The PTO is working closely with the administration and teachers to understand the mission, goals, and action plans of the school.
- The PTO will receive a Principal’s state of the school summary bi- annually to assess the progress of the school and to evaluate the progress and the needs of the school. ( Evaluate Progress / Plan / Action Implementation / Evaluate )
- The PTO will meet minimally once a month to set goals, objectives and action plans for school improvement. ( Third Thursday in the Month at 7:45 a.m. in the Library )
- The PTO acts as an information gathering and delivery network with an e-mail procedure to inform parents of projects and activities as well as progress of the school.
- The PTO volunteers to assist in TCAP Proctoring
- The PTO provides incentives for attendance and student performance awards.
- The PTO is a support / group for all school functions. (Open Houses, Parent Teacher Conferences, Read across America Program, Chili Supper, Campus Pride Days, PTO meetings Monthly and frequently associated with student extra- curricular activities, Tailgate Parties, campus clean-up days, Day Basketball Games.)
The PTO understands and, is aware of the school status and the goals faced by the school from year to year and work to provide necessary assistance to meet the goals.
- The PTO will assist in development of the School Improvement Plan.
- WCMS provides an educational opportunity for all parents to learn about the challenges that are faced by our Middle Schoolers in this x-rated world through our “For Parents Eyes Only Room.” The room is dedicated to informing our parents about the current trends, culture that infuses our school. It also serves as an opportunity to educate our parents about our dress code, disciplinary issues and procedures of our school.
The school district shall incorporate activities and strategies that support this district wide family and community engagement policy into its Tennessee Comprehensive System wide Planning Process (TCSPP).
Representatives from the school serve on the WC PALS Committee to steer system wide school improvement. These representatives are members of the WCMS PTO and /or the Executive Board. These representatives will assist the system in making improvements system wide and in representing WCMS.
The TCSPP shall include procedures by which parents may learn about the course of study for their children and have access to all learning materials.
- The web site for Warren County Schools contains the curriculum maps that have been devised by the system.
- WCMS teachers produce yearly syllabi that are standards based and are correlated with the adopted test books. The teachers produce syllabi for students as appropriate.
- The parents are informed of core curriculum during Open House and during the Parent Teacher Conference.
- Abstinence Education Programs are available and previewed at WCMS Open Houses.
- For Parents Eyes Only room.
- Student Handbooks are published and required for each student. All rules and regulations of the school are included.
- Parent Newsletter
- WCMS website
- All syllabi are on file for viewing when requested.
The SIP shall include strategies for parent participation in the district's schools which are designed to improve parent and teacher cooperation in such areas as homework, attendance and discipline.
- The Parent and the student will engage in an interview during Open House designed to look at test scores and establish goals for the up coming year. The teacher will then conduct an interview to go over the goals and to establish an action plan. The interviews will be reviewed during the Parent Teacher Conferences in September.
- The school makes phone calls regarding student status continually- logs are available.
- The school uses k12planet continually to promote school activities and student assessment.
- The school uses Homework Hotline- locally and regionally for homework assistance and information.
- Administrator’s and Guidance counselors regularly contact parents for various reasons- log are kept in appropriate offices.
- WCMS has yearly Open House for all grade levels
- WCMS and PTO partner for success.
- WCMS uses marquee to keep parents current on educational happenings and student announcements.
- Parent Line is produced and sent with Report Cards each six weeks for student activities and school progress.
- PTO uses e-mail to contact parents- Phone calls are also made as appropriate to inform parents about WCMS
- Team meetings occur daily and parents are includes a appropriate - Logs are available
If the school plan is not satisfactory to the parents, the school shall submit any parent comments with the plan when the school district submits the plan to the State Department of Education.
- Any suggestions are always welcome. Suggestion boxes are placed in our school.
- PTO e-mails are forward to the Principal as need be.
- Parent line has a portion for comments and feed back.
- K12planet allows for e-mails to the Principal or other employee.
- WCMS website has opportunities for feed back
- School-wide Surveys are conducted.
To the extent practicable, the school shall provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports in an understandable and uniform format and including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language parents understand.
- ESL Programs / SPED are integral part of our school program. Great coordination and collaboration are exercised throughout our school to accommodate all learners.
- Integrated Programs with High Quality and Highly Qualified Teachers are available for all students.
- All Letters / forms are produced in appropriate languages as possible. School staff / translators will contact by phone or in person if necessary.
- After school / summer school programs are available for these sub groups to accelerate or re mediate the learning.
The school shall include Family and Community Advisors that will annually assess, through consultation with parents, the effectiveness of our Engagement Program and determine what action needs to be taken, if any, to increase parental and community participation. In order to accomplish this, the council shall be composed of representatives from parents of students, community leaders, members of the school representatives from all groups of the school
- WCMS has it’s PTO and Partners in Education that act as
Advisers and provide feedbacks as to community perspectives regarding WCMS and the school community.
- Team Leaders Meeting have parents that attend from time to time as school- wide decisions are made.
WCMS shall ensure that as a Title I school we are in compliance with the No Child Left Behind Act.
PL 107-110, No Child Left Behind Act of 2001